Kansas City Police Department, 1125 Locust Street, Kansas City, MO

LOCATION
University of Kansas- Edwards Campus, 12600 Quivira Road, Overland Park, KS

OWNER
Police Benefit Association of Kansas City

ARTIST
Robert Merrill Gage

DATES
Dedicated May 30, 1921; Relocated and rededicated September 18, 1949; Relocated to present site February 16, 1973

MEDIUM
Bronze, Missouri red granite

This 8-foot tall bronze sculpture is dedicated to the police officers of Kansas City who lost their lives in the line of duty. The policeman in full uniform holds a night stick in his right hand while cradling a small, lost child in his left arm. The names of fallen police officers have been etched into the granite base of the monument on the south and east faces.

This monument was erected in 1921 and was originally located at The Paseo and 15th Street. In 1949, it was relocated to a site at The Paseo and 59th Street where it was also rededicated. In 1973, it was moved to its present location at the Kansas City Police Department in downtown Kansas City and across the street from City Hall.