Neptune Fountain

Installed in the 1950s, the Roman god of the sea moves in his chariot pulled by three attributes, the trident, the dolphin, and sea horse.

The Roman god of the sea in his chariot was cast in 1911 by the Bromsgove Guild of Worcestershire, England, for the Pennsylvania estate of Alba B. Johnson, who was then president of Baldwin Locomotive Co.

After he died in 1946, the 8,000 pounds of lead depicting the sea god scene couldn’t seem to land a lasting home. Thankfully, Miller Nichols purchased the piece for the worth of its weight in scrap metal after workers at a salvage company found it inside a railroad car. The JC Nichols Co. installed it in 1953 and dedicated it to all visitors at the Plaza.

The Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts in England, a  group of artists and designers that operated from 1898 to 1966, also cast the lead Bacchus Fountain that sits outside the Cheesecake Factory restaurant.

Among the group’s other works are the gates of Buckingham Palace, the Lusitania, and trim on the RMS Queen Mary.

LOCATION

Country Club Plaza, 308 West 47th, Kansas City, MO

DESIGNER/ARTIST

Bromsgrove Guild

DATES

Created in 1911; Installed in 1953

OWNER

Country Club Plaza KC Partners LLC

The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this fountain.

Help keep this fountain running.