Laura Conyers Smith Fountain
The Laura Conyers Smith Rose Garden at Loose Park has contained a water feature since the 1930s. The original design for the rose garden included a small lily pool in the center of the garden, which was built and dedicated in 1936. In 1939, a sculpture entitled “Spirit of the Rose Garden” was placed in the pool with gentle sprays of water at her feet. Her sculptor was Walter Rosenbauer, who was also an instructor at the Kansas City Art Institute. “Spirit of the Rose Garden” remained there until the early 1950s.