Fountain of Bacchus

AKA The Pan Fountain or Chandler Court Fountain

Located on the east side of the Country Club Plaza inside the Cheesecake Factory’s outdoor dining area, Chandler Court is home to the Fountain of Bacchus. Originally cast of lead between 1912-1914, its home was on the Moreton Estate in Warwickshire, England, also a fountain centerpiece.

In the 1950s, Miller Nichols began negotiations for the sculpture, finally purchasing it in 1960. Because of its tremendous size and weight, approximately 5 tons, Bacchus was divided into sections and placed into storage. The Fountain of Bacchus found its permanent home inside Chandler Court in 1967 

LOCATION

Country Club Plaza, 4701 Wyandotte Street, Kansas City, MO

DESIGNER/ARTIST

Bromsgrove Guild of Warwickshire

DATES

Cast 1912-14, Purchased 1960, Installed and dedicated 1967

OWNER

Country Club Plaza KC Partners LLC

The sculpture features the Roman god Bacchus in the form of a herm with grapevines entwined about it. Nymphs and satyrs in various poses attend to Bacchus. The nymphs and satyrs are all wearing or offering various items such as shells, pine branches and flowers. There are oak leaves and acorns entwined in Bacchus’ hair. The fountain basin is in the shape of a quatrefoil. There is a fountain ring on the left and right sides of the sculpture. There four bubblers in front and behind the sculpture.

There is some dispute as to whether this fountain actually depicts the Roman god Bacchus or if it depicts the satyr Pan. Arguments have been made either way. Country Club Plaza refers to this fountain as the Fountain of Bacchus in their brochures and records though.

The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this fountain.

Help keep this fountain running.