Delbert J. Haff Fountain
In the 1890s, Delbert J. Haff became an essential influence in the direction that the Kansas City Parks and Recreation Board has evolved into today. In 1937, a circle just west of Swope Park was designed and dedicated to this important figure in Kansas City history. The circle and fountain welcome visitors to the west entrance of Swope Park and pay tribute to one of Kansas City’s most influential proponents of the local parks system.
The sculptor, Jorgen Dreyer, was commissioned to design a bust of Delbert Haff in 1916 but when completed it was placed into storage. In 1937, Delbert J. Haff Circle was designed by Wilbur H. Dunn with construction being overseen by J. V. Lewis. A mirror pool was added in 1939. The landscaped circle and mirror pool were officially dedicated in 1940. The fountain elements were added in 1966. Finally in 1967, the bust of Delbert J. Haff was taken out of storage and placed upon a granite base at the west end of the circle.
The bronze bust looks out over the mirror pool and fountains and towards Swope Park and sits 15 feet west of the west end of the pool. The granite base is 52 inches tall, and the bust is shielded on top and on the sides by a granite canopy which tops out at 94 inches high. Haff Circle is 600 feet long. The pool is 160 feet long by 60 feet wide. The area is landscaped with flowers with benches. The pool has a low retaining wall of coursed stone. The fountains consist of a center spray ring and seven vertical jets that operate year-round. The Delbert J. Haff Circle Fountain is one of three KCMO Parks and Recreation Department fountains that remain on year-round.
The Delbert J. Haff Circle Fountain was taken out of operation in 2018. In summer of 2018, the fountain was closed to begin repairs and renovations.