Women's Leadership Fountain

The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this fountain.

This fountain was the second fountain built in Kansas City and is its oldest working fountain. It was completed in 1899 and designed by John Van Brunt and George Kessler. After a long period of non-use, the basin was excavated and repaired in 1970. In 1989, the Central Exchange took leadership in raising money for a partial restoration and named it The Women’s Leadership Fountain. Funds from the sale of other City property were used to complete the restoration in 2003. The names of thirteen women who have made notable contributions to the City will be added later.

LOCATION

The Paseo and E 9th Street, Kansas City, MO

DESIGNER/ARTIST

John Van Brunt and George Kessler

DATES

Constructed 1899, Restored 1989-2003

OWNER

KCMO Parks & Recreation Department

  1. 1845-1931 Myrtle Page Fillmore
  2. 1850-1934 Phoebe Jane Ess
  3. 1850-1913 Alice Berry Graham
  4. 1851-1940 Mary Harmon Weeks
  5. 1854-1929 Bertha Manheimer Leiberman
  6. 1860-1933 Katherine Berry Richardson
  7. 1884-1974 Nelle Elizabeth Peters
  8. 1884-1964 Caroline Benton Cockfair
  9. 1886-1983 Ada Crogman Franklin
  10. 1893-1977 Guadalupe Bribiesca de Garcia
  11. 1894-1990 Madalyn Pinkston Brock
  12. 1899-2004 Ellen (Nell) Donnelly Reed
  13. 1917-1970 Esther Swirk Brown

The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this fountain.

Help keep this fountain running.

Contact   |   Donate   |   KC Parks   |   Facebook   |   Instagram

The City of Fountains Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization committed to the conservation of the historic fountains and sculptures in the Kansas City area.

Privacy Preference Center