American Legion #1 Fountain
This American Legion fountain was dedicated at 9th & Main Streets. Ironically, the pipes supplying the spigots on each side of the shaft burst during the first winter in Kansas City and were permanently turned off.
In 1958, when the city began a downtown redevelopment project, this fountain was moved to the intersection of Van Brunt Boulevard and Budd Park Esplanade.
The pedestal fountain consists of a circular base, saucer receptacle and a rectangular shaft which rises to a height of six feet. Four eagles are carved into the corners at the summit. Two bronze plaques illustrate soldiers on one side and sailors on the other.
The artist, from Topeka, Kansas, became Professor of Sculpture at the University of Southern California.
Each side of the obelisk is marked with a metal star, except the west face which has the War Mothers’ emblem and the the years 1917 and 1918 inscribed. The south face has a blue star that is dedicated to those who served, the east face has a gold star symbolizing those who died in the war and the north face has a white star for those who were wounded. Each of the starred sides also has a military saber inscribed on the face underneath the star. On each side of the obelisk at the top is an eagle carved into the stone.
This fountain is one of two fountains owned by the KCMO Parks & Recreation Department that are solar-powered. The solar panel for this fountain is across the street to the south in Dunn Park.